Spay / Neuter
Overpopulation of dogs/cats is a worldwide issue. Dallas is no exception. One way to address this concern was to pass a spay/neuter ordinance. Effective October 25, 2008, all dogs and cats in the City of Dallas must either be spayed/neutered or need to obtain an Intact Animal Permit.
There are a few, select exemptions to this ordinance:
- Dogs and cats under six (6) months of age;
- Dogs and cats unable to be spayed/neutered or is permanently non-fertile for health reasons;
- Service animals;
- Competition cat or competition dog;
- Dogs and cats for adoption at Dallas Animal Services, other animal welfare groups, or for sale in licensed retail pet stores; or
- Owners holding a valid Intact Animal Permit
DAS is a proud partner in the Big Fix for Big D project.
People in 8 Dallas area zip codes can have their dogs and cats (owned and free-roaming)spayed and neutered for FREE. This service is free, but please consider making a donation so we can help others. Go to www.bigfixforbigd.com or call
214-DBIGFIX for information.